Monday, January 21, 2013

Wire Wrapped Pendants + Labradorite | Go to post

Hello! ♥

School has started and I'm really busy, kind of sorting things out but wanting to go home and make things all the time - it's very ironic that during the holidays I waste my life rotting in front of the computer, and only when I actually have work to do does the jewelry-making bug bite. Ahh well. Made this one for my sister -


(I don't think it's so nice but she likes it.) And I made several terrible mistakes with this, decided to solder the frame after setting the stones and wasn't careful, so the smoky quartz briolette cracked and went clear, and the labradorite probably got more brittle because when I dropped it later it chipped. I get really angsty whenever a stone breaks, especially when it's a labradorite like this lovely one -


And I hadn't even started working/designing yet, it just arrived in the mail yesterday and I was just polishing the oil off it and it came apart in my fingers OTL Probably the internal fracture was already at breaking point. Because they have so much individuality you can't just find another one to replace it - and I'm so attached to the bright blue flash of this one, I'll probably try and design something asymmetrical just for it. It is a sad fact that I design many many things and never get round to making them, though. This is one of the few that was actually completed -


I really, really love this stone ♥ It's even more lovely in real life, with a darker gold flash and some tiny bits of bright blue and green near the cloudlike inclusion on the left. And here are some progress shots -


It was made more with soldering practise in mind, so the base frames are more complex - maybe ~20 solder joins, all done with the same solder (unlike silver, copper solder only comes in one melting temp.) The labradorite was set in an open backed bezel, which was the simultaneous source of much pride and frustration - these stones usually have amazing flash across the flat surface of the cabochon back, and this one in particular had a gold-green-blue flash ♥ So the open-back design allows you to see the stone from behind -


One day I will design something meant to show the flat side of the cabochon instead of always hiding it behind. And I'm sorry this post has been 90% rambling about labradorite, but while we're on the subject, the new batch I ordered arrived yesterday and just looking at them makes me to happy ♥


Hopefully I have time to make more things (instead of just doodling designs in class all the time and throwing them away) :D

♥Jasmyn

Labels: , , , , ,

11:56 PM

Search ★



Looking for something specific? A tutorial, tip or design? Use this search box to find what you need!

About ★



Currently on HIATUS but leaving this blog up for those who are still looking at old tutorials/process shots :) Will be back one day maybe!

ValkyrieCouture ★

Facebook ★

Sodacrush ★

Archives

Merry Christmas + Happy New Year! | Hello, Some shots of simple watercolour + typewri... | Updates! | Stickers + Packaging | Hullo! ♥ Just a few quick pictures to share - Her... | metal clay adventures | Photoshoot collab + updates | Life update | DIY Watercolour Tutorial: Glow in the dark galaxy ... | New collection - Egyptian Treasure |

November 2009 | April 2010 | March 2011 | April 2011 | May 2011 | August 2011 | September 2011 | October 2011 | December 2011 | January 2012 | February 2012 | March 2012 | May 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | January 2013 | February 2013 | May 2013 | June 2014 | July 2014 |
Inspiration

more Quotes
Personal Sites
Tumblr
images: layout: powered by:
back
forth
Facebook DeviantArt JewelryLessons Sodacrush on Etsy ValkyrieCouture on Etsy

love&lust

follow